Middle School Curriculum
The EngageNY Math curriculum was originally crafted through a partnership with the New York State Education Department and teacher-writers at Great Minds, a nonprofit dedicated to bringing world-class curriculum resources to students across America. It presents mathematics in a logical progression from grade PK—12.
- Module 1: Ratios and Unit Rates; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 2: Arithmetic Operations Including Division of Fractions; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 3: Rational Numbers; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 4: Expressions and Equations; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 5: Area, Surface and Volume; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 6: Statistics; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 1: Rations and Proportional Relationships; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 2: Rational Numbers; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 3: Expressions and Equations; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 4: Percent and Proportional Relationships; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 5: Statistics and Probability; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 6: Geometry; Math Tips and Homework
- Module 1: Integer Exponents and Scientific Notion; Math Tips and Problem Sets
- Module 2: The Concept of Congruence; Math Tips and Problem Sets
- Module 3: Similarity; Math Tips and Problem Sets
- Module 4: Linear Equations; Math Tips and Problem Sets
- Module 5: Examples of Functions from Geometry; Math Tips and Problem Sets
- Module 6: Linear Functions; Math Tips and Problem Sets
- Module 7: Introduction to Irrational Numbers Using Geometry; Math Tips and Problem Sets
The Litchfield Elementary School District teaches Human Growth and Development in fifth grade and seventh grade. Fifth grade students watch Just Around the Corner (MARSHMedia, Nos. 9224 & 9225).
Seventh grade girls and boys view a Human Growth and Development lesson approved by the school board. The curriculum is presented by school staff via a voiced over PowerPoint and discusses the following:
- Physical growth and changes
- Endocrine System
- Menstruation (Females only)
- Emotional and Social Growth
In accordance with LESD Governing Board Policy, girls and boys view the videos separately. Parent/Guardian permission forms are sent prior to the Human Growth and Development presentations yearly with fifth and seventh grade students.
Reading Apprenticeship: An Overview
The Reading Apprenticeship Framework helps students to develop the strategies, skills, and knowledge necessary to become better readers. Reading Apprenticeship makes the reading processes, strategies, strengths and struggles of students visible to their fellow apprentices and helps them to problem-solve obstacles as well as deepen their understanding of a variety of texts.
Within the Reading Apprenticeship classroom, the teacher facilitates the metacognitive conversation—a conversation that includes students not only making sense of texts, but also discussing how they are going about reading. The metacognitive conversation interlaces four dimensions into content reading and study:
Social: The social dimension invites students to work with one another in a safe, collaborative environment where students can surface problems, confusions and problem-solving perspectives.
Personal: The personal dimension draws on the reader-identity of each student by exploring goals, interests, purpose for reading and skill-use.
Cognitive: The cognitive dimension develops students’ inventory of comprehension and problem-solving strategies.
Knowledge-Building: The knowledge-building dimension develops and increases the knowledge that readers already have and use to understand texts. Genre, structure, vocabulary, word construction as well as the content of the text used is investigated within this dimension.
All sixth through eighth general education classrooms will utilize StudySync English Language Arts Curriculum.
StudySync is a complete ELA curriculum designed to meet the rigorous academic needs of today’s classroom. Our classrooms will utilize both print and digital resources. StudySync is highly engaging and is designed to engage every student.