SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL MEETING AGENDA/MINUTES
Courtney Frazier- Principal
Darren Hiebel- Assistant Principal
Reyna Larriva-Office Manager
Elizabeth Espy-7th grade ELA
Heather Sieger- PTA President
- Mrs. Frazier presented the purpose of this council.
- Members went over the agenda.
- Mrs. Frazier is going to reach out to Mr. Wes Mattison to see if he is still willing to be on the council. Members discussed next steps if he is no longer interested in serving.
- Mrs. Frazier informed the members that this council can use tax credit funds for items that are needed that will benefit all or most students.
- Members can brainstorm ideas for items that the students might need. Funds should be spent by March.
- Parents were asked to take a survey last spring. The council discussed the school’s top scored survey question and the lowest scored survey question.
- The top scored survey question was “I feel my child is treated with respect at school” The council members reflected on this question and why it is the highest scored question. The members jotted ideas on what the school is doing to continue to show respect to the students at school.
- Some of the ideas were for the administration to continue to be present at the beginning/end of the day to greet students and parents. The teachers are friendly, Administration is present in classrooms. The posts on FB are positive and inclusive. PTA hosting events help make a strong community.
- The lowest score on the survey was about teachers providing feedback about learning.
- The discussion included ideas on what the staff can do to increase feedback for academics, social skills, behavior, and personal growth.
- Some of the things changing this year are:
- The intervention team will provide reading data for all parents (Acadience Test)
- The intervention team will provide reading letters to parents when they start intervention groups
- The math intervention team will provide a parent letter if students will be getting intervention for math.
- Parents will be provided with their child’s benchmark scores and information after each benchmark test is given in class.
- Middle school teachers are sending home a weekly academic update to parents.
- Parents will be provided with information during progress reports and report cards.
- Parents will be notified if their child will be in a social skills group
- The council also discussed other things staff could do to communicate academic, behavior, social skill, and student personal growth to parents. Ideas were:
- Parents would appreciate positive behavior notes/calls
- Parents might appreciate a note or call about any academic growth. The student might not be proficient at a standard, but it’s important to communicate the growth they are making.
- This might include growth in a certain social skill.
- Mrs. Frazier will be adding Principal’s List, High Honor Roll, and Honor Roll
AG Parent Training
- The first parent training is today at 5:00 with the AG’s office. The discussion is internet safety.
- The AG’s office is offering other parent training including suicide prevention, anti-bullying, and vaping/illegal substance abuse.
- Mrs. Frazier will attend and provide feedback about parent interest and number of parents in attendance. From there, the council will discuss if the other parent trainings would be of interest to the parents in our community and if so, which of the topics available should be provided first
- There are informational flyers available in the office with information about the upcoming override vote.
- Parents and council members are encouraged to remind people to vote at the next election.
- Congratulations to Mrs. Good who will serve as the chairperson.
- The council members reviewed the Bylaws.
- There was one change. Under positions, “The principal will serve as chairperson and facilitator.” That will be changed to say “The principal will elect/nominate a chairperson.” The principal will serve as facilitator.
BSE Vision and Mission: "We are uniting a community of compassionate and empowered life long learners"
October 20, 2022 3:30PM
Belen Soto Elementary Library
1. Call to Order - Introductions/Attendance
Site Council Members:
- Courtney Frazier- Principal
- Darren Hiebel- Assistant Principal
- Reyna Larriva-Office Manager
- Carolyn Scudder-Instructional Coach
- Elizabeth Espy-7th grade ELA
- Rebecca Lawson-Parent
- Tana Kinard-Parent
- Wes Mattison-Parent
- Heather Sieger- PTA President
- Katie Good- Kindergarten Teacher
- Elaine Deardoff- 2nd Grade Teacher
2. General comment
3. New Business
Review School Data for Benchmark testing
Update on parent survey goal
Tax credit funding disbursement
Minutes submitted by: Signature___________________ Date______________________
Last Updated October 2022